I have a coffee cup that was given to me by someone who attended my church. It has the word “MINISTER” over a stained glass window and a desk, with the words at the bottom “It’s a Heavenly Job.” I’ve used this cup often over the years, although it hasn’t seemed like a heavenly job every day!
With all the challenges of ministry, here are 10 ways ministry can be a heavenly job:
1. We actually get to talk about God in our work.
2. We deal with people at critical moments in their lives where the opportunity for growth is most immediate
3. We can control our own schedule, mostly.
4. We get to pray, alone and with others, as part of our work.
5. We have a built-in audience.
6. We work with people over a long period of time, if we stay long enough.
7. We get to go to parties as part of our work.
8. We’re paid to help people grow spiritually.
9. We become better at our job as we grow personally (even if that growth doesn’t always feel heavenly).
10. We have the privilege of leading others.