Do you think you “ought” to pray more? Do you have trouble finding time for prayer? Here are ten time-saving ways to develop spiritually.
1. Pray when you want to. Don’t make yourself pray.
2. Pray your favorite Bible text, one you already know from memory, or nearly so. You won’t even need a Bible with you.
3. Ask someone else in your church to pray for you. Result: more prayer without any more time from you.
4. Pray the “Jesus prayer”: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me.” Six words, a whole prayer.
5. Sing a favorite spiritual song as a prayer while you are driving. Next week, try a different song.
6. Thank God, right now, for something you can see (your computer or smartphone, to start).
7. Breathe. (The Holy Spirit is as close to you as your breath.)
8. Pray, for yourself, one of the prayers you will use or write for Sunday worship this week.
9. Read the words In God We Trust from a dollar in your wallet and pray for trust.
10. Pray for at least the first minute you are exercising.
Any prayer is better than no prayer. Prayer from a desire for God will get us farther spiritually than prayer from a sense of obligation.